Product Photography for eCommerce: How to start with basic setup

Hello! How are y'all doing?
Going to JLF was really an experience, and I particularly like it for one reason: the stuff I bought from the fest.

So, I picked up this really elegant wallet, made of Cork leather, from BAYU Sustain. I got this specially for my father <3 because he *strictly* doesn't use stuff made of (animal skin/fur) leather due to spiritual as well as environmental reasons; and he won't buy one for himself because he never spends on himself, but keeps everything for me and my brother :') OMG.

We had a studio photography class, a few days back, and we had to shoot any product of our choice, with studio lights, instead of daylight. I chose the wallet as my product.
It was my first experience with product photography, and I had to start from the very basic, so today I'll be sharing with you, my experiences and situations I had been through for my photography session. (Before we start: none of the images below is Photoshop-ed or edited.)
Let's begin.

For the background, I had used a plain white background sheet (different from normal chart papers, this one was photography-specific, so that it doesn't look yellowish in photographs.) Had arranged this on a table, and then there was a soft box studio light, and a thermacoal sheet reflector, an external flash and my DSLR (Canon 200D), off course. This is the most basic stuff to begin with.

  • My first 'correct' click with respect to colors, lighting, background, frame, etc. It was a little difficult for me to manage a balanced frame, as a beginner, because firstly, I had no tripod, and my hand was shaking as hell; and second, i was confused because I had to manage shadows, along too.

tricks and tips for easy Product Photography for eCommerce

  • Then, I tried different angles to enhance, and also show my 'real' product not a 'reel product'. Initially, I faced a lot of difficulties due to unwanted shadows, but then we balanced them out by using a reflector, in my case, a normal thermacoal sheet- as it is a very cheap, basic and easily available reflector, that a beginner like me can afford.

cheap and basic set up for Product Photography


  • Another angle, but the same product and actual colors.

canon 200D Product Photography colors

  • Okay. So, this was a prank done on me by my professor and some of my friends. My professor reflected this yellow light from behind, without me noticing it; and later when my photograph had that yellow effect, he told me that something is wrong with my camera's lens, and that seriously scared the shit out me!! All of them went on with this prank for a few more minutes, until I took a few more shots and got this weird effect in some, while not in others. Then all of them bursted out laughing, and later I was explained all this, and how easy it was, as all it required was to just flash a light- back from our wallpaper.

professional Product Photography using light reflectors

  • Now, this effect was intentional. Along with the yellow light, we used the red reflector too, and it created an interesting color composition. This however doesn't really look appropriate for the product photography here, but it was just an experiment, to understand how light effect works.

how to get correct exposure in studio light and day light?


My other product photography posts that you may like to check out:


There's a lot more to come. Till then, stay  tuned!

Hope you creative design guys like it! You may please feel free to leave your queries (if any) in comments below and also suggest your intelligent suggestions :)

Follow the blog on all social sites: FacebookTwitter and Instagram@ilovesketchart to get latest updates!


Video you may like

Comments

  1. Wonderful post again thanks for the mention

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you So much for this Important and Useful Information.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you about a background, even there are other options besides shooting on a white background. But, nowadays we at least need to list the most popular choice for product photography.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for posting this info. I just want to let you know that I just check out your site and I find it very interesting and informative. I can't wait to read lots of your posts. Amazon Produktfotos

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you have an e-commerce store? Or you are planning to open your e-commerce store. It is pertinent for you that you must know the importance of product photography. It can enhance your business on the top.

    Learn More at: https://cutoutimagemedia.com/best-tips-for-ecommerce-product-photography/

    ReplyDelete
  6. ecommerce photographers near me
    corporate video makers in Noida



    Our professional Ecommerce product photography services are the perfect solution for businesses looking to showcase their products in the best possible light. With years of experience and a keen eye for detail, our team of photographers will help you stand out from the crowd and maximize sales. From lighting and backgrounds to editing and post-production, we handle it all, so you can focus on running your business.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

FontExplorer X - Makes Everyone an Expert
336x280 In Doers We Trust